Thursday 23 January 2014

damitaprilurcool:: basics to modern calligraphy kit

Modern calligraphy is a beautiful art form that I have been admiring a lot the past few months or so.  Instagram and Pinterest has led me to many beautiful pictures, letters and invitations.  Additional to that, the beautiful April Joy Hill of damitaprilurcool, has made modern calligraphy almost irresistible to me.  I adore the way the words flow, the thick swells and thin hairlines make everything look elegant, yet quirky and fun as it is not a strict replication of letters.

Interested in taking up a new hobby, an email to April was quickly sent and I was so happy to hear that she will be selling a "Basics to Modern Calligraphy Kit" on her Etsy page.  I immediately jumped at the chance {{maybe a bit too rash? oh, who cares, it's beautiful!}}.

This week led to its arrival and I was too excited to open the package that came from the United States from the lovely April. 


Is it not just one of the most beautiful packages you have ever seen?
Everything included was just so beautiful and well packaged.  I couldn't help but hold my breath the whole entire time and exhale at the touch of each item.  

April Joy Hill's Basics to Modern Calligraphy Kit includes:
  • One straight pen holder
  • 2oz (59 ml) bottle of black sumi ink
  • Two nibs
  • Various sheets of practice paper
  • A starter guide
  • Alphabet guides in April's calligraphy


Along with the calligraphy kit, April recommended me the book, "Modern Calligraphy" by Molly Suber Thorpe.


I purchased this copy from Book Depository.  I only have a flipped through and {{not that I know much, but...}} it looks very good! It is very informative and has lots of recommendations as to how to get started in modern calligraphy.  I can't wait to use this book as a reference and thank you so very much to April for the recommendation. 


Please note that since mailing out my kits, April has fallen in love with a new nib that she will be including in future kits.  In addition to that, a 5x7 card that has the above quote will also be included instead. 

April's calligraphy kit has blown me away and if she were to ever release an "advanced" one, well, show me where to line up so I can get one! You know, when I'm actually at the stage to uh... be considered "advanced" and not a hopeless beginner.

April also sells some pretty cool stamps and notecards in her super adorable Etsy shop.  Trust me, I've been pondering over a name stamp myself - but hey, to be fair, it's very hard to find my name on items, they must always be customised!

The many ways you can get to April Joy Hill:
My photos do not do this justice.  Please visit her and show her some love!


6 comments:

  1. You are so so so sweet for posting this Yu Rong! :) Thank you for your support of my little shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks, girlie! It was absolutely all my pleasure! I love everything you sell and want to share. Always, always, always. ^^

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting! Love everything she creates! I too have been on the fence wanting to order this kit! Looks so pretty and fun! Enjoy! Can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! Haha, trust me, don't expect any masterpieces just yet! It will be a while before I will feel comfortable enough to share. ^^

      Delete
  3. This looks so wonderful and the packaging is beautiful as well. <3 This would be great for letter writing! I may have to order one in the near future. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so beautiful. I hope to be one day good enough to write my own wedding invitations, etc! (Of course, that might mean I will invite a total of ten people to my wedding?! Haha!)

      Delete